The Friday Refrain: Your Weekly New Music Digest
Did you survive Friday the 13th? Around here, it's more like survive this weekend as there is a whole bunch of snow coming at us right now. So I have to make this quick before I have to get out there and shovel.
Yesterday continued the trend of interesting albums with the release of This Is Spinal Tap's Derek Smalls' album Smalls Change. Yes, the character in the cult hit released a new album yesterday. Our other installment of interesting albums is Juliana Hatfield and her cover album of Olivia Newton John songs. Country star Jason Aldean is back with Rearview Town. The Damned released Evil Spirits. Yesterday was a banner day of singer-songwriters with a new album from Laura Veirs (The Lookout) and John Prine (The Tree Of Forgiveness). Rappers Blu & Nottz teamed up for Gods in the Spirit, Titans in the Flesh. And a personal favorite to round it out - Brazilian Girls are back with Let's Make Love.
And now we're ready for our second week of
Should I bother?
- Jason Aldean: I accurately predicted that my playlist had switched to Rearview Mirror when listening yesterday. So if you like Jason Aldean, I think you'll like this one.
- Juliana Hatfield: I am lukewarm on Juliana Hatfield (just personally doesn't hit home for me), but I love Olivia Newton John songs and she does a good job with them. So if you like either half of that equation, give it a whirl. I'm guessing if you don't like either side of the equation it might not be so fun for you.
- John Prine: this is a great "I'm stuck in my house because the ice and snow is crazy outside" album. I'm going to put it on again soon.
- Laura Veirs: I. Love. Her. I only listened to two tracks to know I'm going to be listening to this a lot. Probably going on before Prine's album.
- Brazilian Girls: You need something to dance to? Here you go.
- Derek Smalls: What do you think a new album made by Derek Smalls of Spinal Tap would sound like? Yes. That is correct.
So there you have it. Another Friday Refrain has come and gone. Hope you have a good weekend and Happy Listening!
ps. Happy festival season!!!! It's Coachella (I know there are earlier ones now but this will always be the hallmark of festival season to me)