To Listen 5
Do you hear that? The crickets? I do. Must be that time of year again, the time of year I hate the most, where Josh forces me to pick my favorite albums of the first half of the year. So I procrastinated the blog, the listening and now I have 24 hours to figure out my top 10(-30, because it's never 10) before we record tomorrow night.
But what about last Friday? Well, glad you asked because I've got some picks - it's heavy on the chill out vibe today because my brain needs a break dang it.
The To Listen 5
- Grimm Grimm, Cliffhanger - This is chill out quiet indie rock - the kind of music that makes me want to wrap myself up in its quietude, close my eyes and float.
- Floating Room, False Baptism- Also chill but in a different way. The music of this is somewhat of a paradox - driving yet plodding. The vocals insistent but floating over it all. Room to breathe but the feeling of solidness and determination.
- Gang Gang Dance, Kazuashita - this band has been around since the early oughts but haven't released anything in 5 years or so. It's experimental, it's danceable ambience? After reading about them, they are a live instrument band which is really fun to hear especially with the soundscapes they create.
- Dumb, Seeing Green - Oh hi garage rock, how are you old friend? On my favorite tracks these guys remind me of Art Brut (my love for you Art Brut never wavers).
- Yazmin Lacey, When The Sun Dips 90 Degrees - This is chill out too but full production sipping cocktails in the backyard looking hot and not because of the air around you chill out music. Her voice is amazing. The keys are just sublime. The jazzy drumming. It's sidelong glances and stolen moments.
Check out the Spotify list for a track from each of those releases and a few other things I liked from last Friday. Now it's time to dive back into the sea of releases and pare it down to a manageable list... Wish me luck.