The Friday Refrain: Your Weekly New Music Digest
Happy Friday everybody! It's a week where I was really thinking there were lots of things to talk about but it's just a few. So here you go: Tex-Mex indie rockers Calexico released The Thread That Keeps Us. Rocker and trying to give Robert Pollard for number of releases in a year (as far as I can tell) Ty Segall released Freedom's Goblin. Bluegrass group Steep Canyon Rangers step out with Out In The Open. Personal household favorite Django Django release their album Marble Skies- and we approve. Nils Frahm released All Melody. and amid the controversy of seemingly homophobic lyrics (but denied by Offset as being misunderstood), Migos released Culture II.
And that list I'm making, well it's coming along. Getting some listening in over the last week and being productive it seems. Mainly life has left a little breathing room again so that's nice. Let's see...
New Pint Notes episode up - so check that out! We talk about Cupcakke, Wes Youssi, Closer, Starcrawler, The Go! Team and Negative Gemini. A bunch of bands you don't recognize? Yep - there's some newbies in there and definitely an eclectic and varied group of music.
Things I Liked Last Week:
- Tango With Lions, The Light - indie rock with a touch of T. Rex influence
- Ghost Music, I was Hoping You'd Pass By Here - Low key indie rock. You know, dreamy and sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom because of the acoustics not because there's flushing toilets or something. Jeez, what were you thinking?
- Inara George, Dearest Everybody - i just love her voice and found out she is from The Bird & The Bee.
- Toto Bona Lokua, Bondeko - This worldly trio has made a really lovely album that makes me think of a souffle. Delicate but complex and awesome.
- Bobo Stenson Trio, Contra La Indecisión - piano driven jazz album. It could be the port you have after the souffle.
- Bed Bug, i'll count to heaven in years without seasons - lo fi singer-songwriter like I like. It has that Microphones, Neutral Milk Hotel, and that low key way Modest Mouse did stuff sometimes. Think "Talking Shit About A Pretty Sunset" or a less noise filled Ugly Casanova.
Yep. There you have it - another Friday, another Refrain, somethings to get your low key groove to. Happy Listening!